Instagram, the picture enhancing app used by foodies and teens alike! Why should your business care about Instagram?
Instagram has one hundred million monthly active users. Regardless of whether these people are taking pictures of their dogs, their food or their feet (ahem, I’m totally guilty of this) you have potential customers on Instagram. Here are the stats:
100 million Monthly Active Users
40 million Photos Per Day
8500 Likes Per Second
1000 Comments Per Second
(Courtesy of Instagram)
You may be thinking, great – another thing for me to do, but if your customers are using Instagram maybe you should be too! This doesn’t mean it’s useful for ALL businesses, but if you’re able to make your business “visual,” it could be an easy way to engage your customers or potential customers. The same rules apply as with all social media platforms: be real and be authentic. Despite what you might think, people are interested in what you have to say and how your company operates. Giving customers a “behind the scenes” look puts a face to your business and creates trust between your business and your customer.
Not convinced? Here’s how to use Instagram for your business
– You’re on your phone anyway! Take a picture of what you’re up to and share it to communicate with your customers.
– Even if the quality is lacking in the picture, use the editing tools to make your picture black and white or “toasted.”
– Instagram integrates with Facebook, Twitter, email, Tumblr, Flickr and foursquare.
– Hashtags: just like twitter, and now facebook, Instagram uses hashtags which means that you can search for certain words. Popular hashtags in use are #TBT (throw back Thursday – using a picture from way back when) #YEG (Edmonton) anything to do with #Food and #Picoftheday
– Use for events. Take pictures of an event your at and use your hashtag (like #emomnow for example). Other people at the event can search for pictures taken using Instagram and voila!
– Add text to your images to relay a message! Let your customers know about a sale, an event or a contest!
In the next article about Instagram I’ll let you know about some of the great partner apps for Instagram that will give you fancy borders, pretty writing and take your pics of your cupcake to amazingness!