Jen Schaeffers’ Top 5 No-Nos of Networking
- Don’t give a sales pitch about yourself as soon as you meet them.
- Don’t go with a bunch of friends and stick with them the entire night.
- Don’t network in a random or unfocused way; have a strategy. Remember it’s your time and money.
- Don’t focus on the number of contacts you have, but the quality of the connections you have.
- Don’t go to an event thinking what’s in it for you. Think about how you can be of help to another individual.
About Jen Schaeffers
Passionate about philanthropy and connecting people, Jen Schaeffers’ is currently the Executive Director of the CKNW Orphans’ Fund and Founder of NetworkinginVan.com. She is committed to the empowerment and development of young women leaders and is currently a mentor with the Vancouver Board of Trade Leaders of Tomorrow program. Jen is an active member of the Women’s Leadership Circle Advisory Council and a recent graduate of the Women’s Executive Network Top 100 Mentorship program. In her spare time, you’ll find Jen playing boggle on her iPhone, listening to U2 or hanging out at Mink Chocolates. You can reach Jen on LinkedIn and Twitter.
“We can do no great things, only small things with great love.” – Mother Teresa