Truth….the journey of an entrepreneur is not a smooth course. There are many twists, turns and set-backs. Rejections, mistakes, overly-demanding clients, experiencing more failures than successes, money concerns, time-crunches, etc. The list goes on and on. Carrying on in the face of adversity is tough. Very, very tough. So how do those who stay the course keep inspired to do so? We asked nine entrepreneurs what inspires them to keep going. Here is what they had to say.
1. “After owning my own business (going into our 6th year at the end of May), I do not want to work for anyone else. Although I work my ass off and work WAY more than 40 hours per week, it never feels like it! What also keeps me inspired relates to our news. We hear so many horrible and horrendous stories about women in the world and how they are treated and mis-treated We are so fortunate to live in this part of the world where we CAN own our own business, where we CAN help the economy with hiring people for our companies and where we CAN make a difference. Although I’m not a ‘rah-rah’ type of women’s lib person (generally speaking) I am an advocate for women to use their strengths, to lead others and to make a difference.” – Sheri Bruneau, President of Get it Together, Your Before and After Moving Specialist
2. “A pure internal connection to the work of marketing. My first “thought” was that I keep going based on feedback and comments from clients and workshop guests that affirm my work matters very much to them. While this is true, it is part of my motivation, my truth about what keeps me inspired is the constant movement in the industry I am in. You cannot possibly run out of ideas, things to learn, new ways to solve the usual problems when you are a marketing professional.” – Kim Page Gluckie, Strategic Marketing Expert for Small Business Owners and owner of Truth & Tonic
3. “Inspiration is a key element in how I run my design business. Design influence is everywhere, ideas are endless and creativity has no limit!
It’s very gratifying to help clients enhance their brand image, and be a part of their growth and success. With each new design project, comes a new challenge that pushes my creativity to new heights, and that in itself is incredibly empowering.
Being that design is an integral element in marketing for business, I work hard to keep up with new trends in order to offer the most recent and relevant options to my clients. I find that being up-to-date on design and marketing trends, translates to quality projects delivered and results in happy, loyal customers.
My family inspires me to continually challenge myself and grow my business. My clients inspire me with their entrepreneurial passion and drive. I have built a professional network of successful business owners, each of whom inspire me to improve how I run my business.
I continue to be motivated by countless influences surrounding me, and find valuable inspiration in each one.” – Jaime Wedholm, owner of Jaime Wedholm Graphic Design Solutions
4. “What inspires me as a business owner is helping that one person who will go on to inspire others to raise the bar on treating everyone with the respect and dignity they deserve. The ripple/multiplier effect really has power to change individuals who make up society. This will naturally lead to a better world. I believe in the power of ONE.” – Maria Doll, Certified Style and Etiquette Consultant and founder of Leadership Matters
5. “As a business owner, I stay inspired by the stories of the women who have gone before me. They have cleared the way for new opportunities and stand in the gap for women who are just coming into their brilliance. As I see my clients overcome challenges and create a new story for their family, it gives me the fuel to stay the course.” – Natalie Blais Parenting Strategist and founder of A Passionate Parent.
6. “Watching the success and growth of my clients keeps me inspired.” – Dana Goldstein, YouTube Partner and Chief Producer at ChicFlicks
7. “The fireworks I see in my clients’ eyes as their passion ignites over the marketing success we have created together.” – Amanda Schewaga, The Marketing Girl in YYC. Event Planner. Marketing Manager. Social Media Ninja. Web Techie
8. “My inspiration comes from the heartfelt compliments that I get when my customer receives one of my blankets. Letters, cards and photos from my customers keep me inspired to continue creating.” – Valery Klassen, Owner and Designer at Sun 7 Designs
9. “As I sit here in my cozy kitchen, still in my Pj’s with a chai latte, listening to ‘Major Indie Cred’ on Songza, no one bossin’ me around, it’s pretty easy to think of the reasons I stay motivated to be a business owner, but inspiration is deeper. Inspiration is the well that my motivation feeds from, it’s the fire in my belly that is always burning. So what keeps me inspired as a business owner? Exactly the same things that keep me inspired as a human, here is a piece of my list:
• Freedom – my time, my kids, my trust in myself and others.
• Creativity – I used to say I wasn’t creative…I was wrong. I crave it, it keeps my fire lit, when it’s low, I look around at what others have created (in any form) stokes the inspo right back up.
• Women – every story I hear, every connection I make, inspires me to keep doing what I do.
• Transformation – the idea of it and the reality of it. It happens to people…they change for the better, and I get to be with some as they do!” – Stevie Martin-Ogrodniczuk, Holistic Health Coach at stevieo.ca
At the end of the day,inspiration is very personal. It flows from what you see and what you feel. It is all about what moves you to keep going.
For more business inspiration, be sure to follow our Pinterest board: Business Inspiration – We Are All In This Together
Photo credit: Alan Cleaver / Foter / Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0)