Marketing can be hard work. Encouraging people to buy from you and that you have something that will solve their problem takes time. As a new business, you need to establish yourself as credible and trustworthy and stand out as an expert. People buy from people they trust, and who they see as experts at what they are doing. If you want more clients, and want to see results from your marketing, you need to do these 3 things; 1) be the expert, 2) look like an expert, and 3) be a trusted expert.
1) Be the Expert
Take those courses, attend that webinar, read that book, walk that trade show! Take it all in. Stay on top of what is happening in your industry and what’s new. Not only does this keep you informed, but people often like to hear what is new in the industry, and feel like they now know too. Some of my best conversations with clients are on topics about what we have seen, heard or learn. It’s a great conversation, and will establish you as someone who knows what is going on NOW, not last year.
2) Look Like an Expert
This is a topic that I could go on and on about. So many businesses lack professionalism that they may be losing out no matter how good their product or service is. Subconsciously, if someone hands out a business card that clearly was printed at home using those perforated sheets from an office supply store, instantly, appears to be careless, less professional. Add to that a hotmail email address (not an email linked to a domain), and a clip art logo with ComicSans font and that card is filed. Filed in the garbage.
Get yourself a professional looking website, buy a domain name, hire a professional photographer, have a copywriter write or edit your website’s content, hire a designer to design a business card that will leave an impression, and get your social media accounts properly set up!
Take a serious look at your business, and yourself, as someone else would and ask yourself if you would be impressed, want more information, and most importantly, want to do business with you.
3) Be a Trusted Expert
People need trust. Just like any other successful relationship, there needs to be trust. Especially when it has to do with our pocketbooks. Trust is not instant. Trust is earned over time. How can you start earning people’s trust? Here are some simple ways to build that trust:
1. Be yourself.
2. Share your knowledge. Blog regularly, post regularly, and share all that knowledge you have. People will appreciate the value you provide.
3. Be honest. Don’t use those marketing tactics to create urgency that are not true – only have 1 hour left to sign up, or 2 spots left to fill – surely if a customer signed up in an hour and a half you would not shut the door on them, or if 5 more people signed up when you said only 2 spots left, pretty sure you would accommodate them.
4. Don’t boast or brag indirectly. It is ok to post something about how much you love all your clients and how busy you are, but usually, if it needs to be stated, much like someone who speaks of how much money they have, or how active their “romantic” life is, we know that it usually is quite the opposite. Surely, love your clients, but word your appreciation for them carefully, genuinely. This goes back to #3, be honest.
5. Do things without being asked. Stumble across some information that someone may appreciate, pass it on. Met someone that might need to meet someone else, connect them. Expect nothing in return. Just be nice and helpful. You know, the things we teach our children to do.
6. Always speak well of others. Even your competition. There is enough business for everyone out there, and you will not gain people’s trust by putting down your competition.
Marketing is done to create awareness about your company and what you offer, it’s the awareness that will get you the customers and clients. Practice these things, and over time, when people are ready to buy, you will be their number one choice, because you know your “stuff”, your “stuff” looks good, and above all, you are trustworthy.